Sunday, November 2, 2008

Death Bars

My mom wanted us to try these pecan squares that she saw on The Barefoot Contessa on food network....so I thought I would try my hand at food photography....I think I should stick to my day job.... First you have to make the cookie crust....more like a butter crust....you have no idea how much butter was in this thing
Then you pat the crust in a huge jelly roll pan and bake it

Then you have to boil A LOT MORE BUTTER and other ingredients to make the topping
IMPORTANT NOTE: I was not able to take a picture of them as we took them out of the oven because there was smoke everywhere and we couldn't see because our eyes were stinging so bad. The contessa forgot to mention that the bars would overflow into the bottom of the oven that would burn and make you think the house was burning down....



The final product!! This recipe made like 80-90 1-inch square bars. I know that sounds like a small bar since I can usually eat a brownie the size of a 4x6 picture. But believe me 1-inch of these was plenty. They are super rich but absolutely fantastic. And what is that pretty serving dish you ask? It is the Cinnabar appetizer tray from Southern Living at Home
You too could get it at 50% off or FREE for having a party in November. Please click on the link above and click on November Specials to learn more!!


Not the best close up shot ever
Really these bars were absolutely amazing but they also took us about 2 hours to make....and since I know how much butter went into them I am not all about eating as many as I can....I am calling them death bars for a reason people.... We'll see if she wants to go through this again for Thanksgiving!













1 comment:

Sarah Launchbaugh said...

Those looks great! I think I need the recipe!
I am a complete drop out on the challenge. I'm a slug!!